Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 6 Do You See What I See?

(If you have just joined us I am leading a 30 day retreat based on my book A 30 Day Retreat: A Personal Guide to Spiritual Renewal (Paulist Press, 2010). You can learn more information about the book at www.williamcmills.com)

Is the glass half empty or half full?

Is it sunny outside or partly sunny?

So much of your life is based on perception or vantage point. Very often there are other ways of looking at the same situation from a different angle and voila we see something different.

There is a story in Chapter 6 of my book about a bunch of elementary school children looking at an icon of the Virgin Mary. One child asked why there is a sun in the picture and when I looked at the icon I realized that what really is a "halo" around her head was "sun" to her. Again, it all depends on perception and vantage point.

Very often I find myself being able to see physically but being virtually spiritually blind. I fail to see the goodness around me and would rather dwell on the bad, I find fault with people and events rather than see the positive contributions that they are making to neighborhood, church, or community.

I have two very good eyes but I am blind, or at least half blind.

How about you?

How is you spiritual vision lately?

How do you see the world?

Lets share................