Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 2 Love One Another

"All you need is love" sang the Beatles and so did Tina Turner in her 80's hit "what's love gotta to do with it?" Romantic love is so fleeting, here one day gone the next, the stuff of Hollywood movies, chocolates, and roses. Real love, the love that Jesus talks about in the gospels requires humility and sacrifice. My understanding of love has changed over the years. It meant one thing when I first got married 13 years ago and quite another when our two daughters were born; diapers, feeding, potty training (oh my!!), car pool, soccer games, whinning "but Daddy...........", and then quite another when I became a parish priest.

Jesus gives us many examples of love in the gospels:

washing feet
the cross
stories like the good samaritan
talking with the Samaritan woman at the well
sticking around with his band of crazy and thick headed disciples for three years!!! (this always confounded me)

Love is easier said than lived, I struggle with it daily. Do you?

Has your idea of love changed over the years?

What is the biggest challenge to you as you struggle with love?