Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 28 He Was Known to Them in the Breaking of the Bread

I love this picture of bread and wine, it looks so earthy to me, the wine sitting in a pottery chalice and a large loaf of bread broken. Every Sunday Christians around the world remember our Lord Jesus in the "breaking of the bread" as we recount his final instructions to "take eat" and "drink of it all of you." Every Sunday I stand in the altar of our little parish reciting those last words of Jesus and it never stops to amaze me how new those words sound every Sunday, "take eat" and "drink of it all of you."

These words have been said for 2,000 years and they have comforted people.

Personally I love to eat and there is nothing better than a glass of wine and a hunk of bread and very often I eat cheese with it; brie, English Stilton, or some Port Salut, ummm, makes me want to go and get some now.

The Sacrament of Holy Communion, also called the Eucharist, is very earthy, incarnational. Jesus takes basic things in life such as bread and wine and tells his followers that when we eat of this bread and drink of this wine we are remembering Jesus and making his Presence felt again in the community.

This is truly awesome.

Take eat

Drink of it all of you

Jesus is known to us in a meal

How revolutionary!

Let's share. What are your thoughts on the Eucharist?