Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 23 Gardening With God

Okay, how many of you like to garden? It's summer and my garden is fully into growth mode. I have tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, basil, parsley, as well as roses, tiger lillies, zinnias, and daisies growing. From May - Sept I have my hands full.

The New Testament is full of gardening imagery:

Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene in the garden

Jesus was betrayed in a garden

Jesus talks about growing vines and vineyards

Paul talks about planting, sowing, and reaping

Jesus talks about the importance of harvest


The world of Jesus was an agrarian society and people knew full well about the ups and downs and the ins and outs of gardening. For one thing it ain't easy.

Planting is hard work

Watering and reaping is hard work

Keeping away those varmits like squirrels and mice is hard work

When I"m in the garden I sweat a lot and my back hurts me.

Gardening is a powerful metaphor for our life together

The Apostle Paul says that he planted, Apollos watered, but God gives the growth.

In other words we have the responsibility to prepare the soil (us---our hearts and minds) to receive the Word but God gives the increase.

I always plant wild flowers and sow seeds hither and yonder and I am always amazed that some seed begins to sprout and others do not.

It's not up to me.

It's up to God

How is your garden growing today??????????

Let's share