Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 21 Locusts and Wild Honey

John the Baptist seems weird to me. Yea, you heard me, weird. The descriptions that the gospels give of this man, probably thin as a waif, long strangely hair, wearing leather sandals and a leather belt around his waist, eating locusts and wild honey. I mean, really, who eats locusts and wild honey these days! Sure I like honey on my toast, but locusts?

John the Baptist came eating locusts and wild honey. He also came preaching repentance. The word repent means "to change."

He preached a new way of life which means that those of us who follow have to change our lives, or have our lives changed by God, whatever way you want to put it.

Change is hard.

I don't want to change.

I am fine the way I am thank you very much.

Why do I need to listen to a crack pot prophet in the desert telling me to change my life?

Because, that prophet was sent by God so that we can get our lives back on track.

This God of ours is sure persnickity, he likes to cajole and to prod and to get us wear we don't want to go.

He sent plenty of people like John; Amos, Hosea, Ezekiel. They all preached the same message too: change, change, CHANGE.

Why after all these millenia do we still have problems with change, with repentance?

What are your thoughts on this?????????