Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 14 Jesus Irritates Me!

It's hard to believe but tomorrow we will be halfway through our 30 day retreat. I hope that you find this series of postings helpful and that you are enjoying my book. Last night I had a wonderful time giving a public reading and book signing at Malaprops Bookstore in Asheville, NC. It is a great independent bookstore near the Grove Arcade. Go out and support your local bookstores, they need readers like you to keep their doors open!

You might be befuddled by today's title: Jesus Irritates Me. Well, at least I'm honest. The other day I told a friend of mine that if you read the gospels with an open and honest heart that Jesus will do or say something that will strike a cord with you. He will do something that goes against your deepest convictions. For example:

He touches a leper---------in the 1980's how many of us would even be in the same room with much less touch a person who had HIV, when those with HIV were so stigmatized. Yet that was what lepersy was back then, a social and religious stigma.

He spends time with prostitutes and unsavory people. Now come on, I enjoy a mug of beer and a glass of Merlot and usually drink it at a restaurant with dinner. How many of us would hang out at the local seedy tavern with these people? Yet Jesus does............

I could go on and on. I think you get the point. My title is tongue in cheek, a little sarcastic twist. Jesus irritates me because deep down I realize how far I am from being his disciple. I say that I am a Christian but I seem to fail the test miserably.

How are you doing these days with your faith?

Are you irritated by Jesus? Does he shock your system with his crazy teachings about love, forgiveness, and mercy?

If not, maybe you ought to go back and re-read the gospels. If you and Jesus are "fine together" maybe one of you are not paying attention, and I have a bet its not him either!

Lets share today.......................

(If you enjoy a 30 Day Retreat make sure to read my other book, Our Father: A Prayer for Christian Living which is also a practical and reflective book about the Lord's Prayer. You can find it on amazon.com or Barnes and Nobles online, etc.....)