Saturday, February 13, 2010

Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian

Lent starts this week. Eastern Orthodox Christians begin Lent on Sunday and Western Christians (Roman Catholics, Methodists, Lutherans, etc..) begin Lent on Wednesday which is referred to as Ash Wednesday. I wish everyone a good Lenten season as we make our pilgrimage to Easter Sunday.

During the season of Lent the Eastern Orthodox use the Prayer of St. Ephrem. Ephrem lived in 4th century Syria and wrote several hundred hymns, prayers, and commentaries on Scripture. Below is the Prayer of St. Ephrem:

O Lord and Master of my life
Take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power and idle talk

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to thy brother

Yea of Lord and King grant me to see my own sins and not to judge my brother

For thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.

This prayer is very rich in meaning and continues to inspire and encourage Christians in their walk of faith. Hopefully it will inspire and encourage you as we make our way to Easter.